Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dev D : a maverick's version of the classic Dev Das

So, I am gonna write about none other than my favorite theme – ‘cinema n music’. This time around, I must say that I am heavily impressed by the work of Amit Trivedi – the musician behind the Bollywood flick ‘Dev D’ –a modern retake on the classic Bengali novel- ‘Devdas’. This movie begs to differ from the dragging attire of the previous 7 movie versions ,been made and remade by different filmmakers, depicting their interpretations of the original classic by Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay.The last one had Shah Rukh Khan, Aishwarya Rai and Madhuri Dixit in the lead roles and was directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali.

But Anurag Kashyap, the director of Dev D, stands out with a complete makeover that is very bold in nature and is highly contemporary. I happened to watch this movie only recently and I must admit that I was jolted by the brilliance of this man. The same old theme, comes wrapped up in a new fabric, and it’s the frank attitude of its storyline that surprised me the most. Combined with the brilliant performances by Abhay Deol,Mahi Gill and Kalki Koechlin in lead roles, this movie is in my favorite list now.


You can read the plot of the movie from Wikipedia. Here’s the link : Dev D
Sorry, as always, I got deviated from the main thing -> the music of Dev D. Man, oh man! I must confess that the music album of Dev D simply rocks, comprising of 18 tracks – all different from each other as black is to white. The album has tracks belonging to different genres – hard rock,blue,Punjabi bhangra, folk, rap, band-baja, world music & almost everything else under the Sun, all amalgamated together by an outstanding musician in Amit Trivedi . I’ve not heard this name until recently, when Rohith told me that a track from the recent movie ‘Wake up Sid’ – the song is ‘Iktara’ – is done by Amit Trivedi. The song was really nice, but after listening to the tracks of Dev D, I really got a taste of what this guy is really capable of.

Personally, my favorites are  – ‘Nayan tarase’ , ‘Pardesi’ , ’Saali Khushi’ , ‘Aankh micholi’ and the crazy smash hit ‘Emosanal atyachaar’ that has become a cult in itself. I am simply addicted to them and the reason is nothing else but the immense creativity & freshness that you can sense even if you are not that much into music. I don’t know whether everyone would be equally impressed as I am, but I am already a fan of Amit Trivedi and am looking forward to more of his work. You can listen to the tracks for free from www.in.com – here’s the link : Dev D songs Dev D tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment