Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rookie's Journey Through Linux

Its almost after 5 years that I am coming back to Linux, so I find myself only as good a rookie. 5 years ago it was for my c/c++ undergrad courses that I had to use linux. And a few months back, I had a short stint with the RedHat Linux for Cadence Virtuoso. But as I said, it was only a short stint. :)

  I thought I would document my step by step evolution and experiments with Linux and other softwares that I may use with it. To be frank, I am no expert and I would request readers to point out any mistakes or misconceptions that may creep in!

 I got Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) distro on  VMware Player 4.0.4. I would suggest using VMware Player only if you have sufficient RAM on your PC. I assigned 4GB RAM for the virtual machine but I guess 2 GB is also good enough. Anything less than that may be give you less than desired performance.

Ubuntu 12.04 on VMware Player 4.04

    If I had to install it on my laptop with 3 GB RAM, I would have had dual booted Linux with Windows. But since my lab PC has 8 GB RAM (yep, am lucky!) , I can afford the luxury of switching back and forth between Windows and Ubuntu using VMware, and by God, it works like a breeze!

   By the way, Ubuntu 12.04 is really a refreshing experience after years of Windows usage. The GUI is awesome and it has almost everything that you may need for your everyday computing needs plus much more. I would recommend everyone to give it a try just for fun. Who knows, you may also turn into an Ubuntu fan!

You can get your free copy of VMware Player form here.
Get your free Ubuntu 12.04 image file from here.

Steps to get you started:
1. Download the Ubuntu 12.04 image file.
2. Download and install VMware player, its very intuitive, you won't have much trouble.
3. Run VMware Player by double-clicking its icon from desktop.
4. Select the "Create a new virtual machine" option from the right-hand side pane in the VMware Player window.
5. Choose Install from 'Installer disc image file (.iso)".
6. Browse and load the previously downloaded image file of ubuntu 12.04.
7. Assign required RAM and fill in other options.
7. Wait for the installation to finish.

  Have fun!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment